Plants are a source of positivity and joy. It is believed that they usher in prosperity along with good health to individuals. Even if you stay at an apartment with no prominent garden space, you can still grow Plants in pots Indoor in India. If you are searching for a way to decorate your apartment you can easily do it with Indoor ornamental Plants for your Home in India itself. Therefore, indoor plants are the new way to deck up your apartment. We guess you are still wondering about how to go about with the process. Don’t worry! We’ve got you covered! In this article, we will deal with the types of plants which will give your apartment a fresh lease of air and beautify your Home.
Types of Plants grown Indoors in India
The typical plants which are grown indoors in India are:
1. Jasmine Flower
Jasmine plant mostly are planted due to its amazing fragrance which attracts people towards one’s home instantly. The flowers of this plant are mostly pink and white in color. These flowers can be gifted to people as well because they make excellent garlands which can be used as head gears. This is one of the most commonly grown Indoor Plants in India.
The suitable conditions for the growth of the Jasmine plant are:
- Water – They need a high amount of humidity and less water. It would be best to sprinkle water on the plant rather than applying water directly to it.
- Light – This plant grows the best in partial shaded pots or indoor gardens. Hence, it is extremely necessary to plant it in a portable pot which can be moved elsewhere as and when it is needed.
- Temperature – This plant is better suited to warm temperatures and is the best for countries like India because of its warm climate.
2. Hibiscus Plant
With bright red flowers, this plant is aesthetically pleasing with its medicinal benefits. This plant blooms all the year round and has multitudinous uses apart from decoration of one’s home. It is used for coloring hair and as an offering to God as well. The flowers need strong sunlight to grow so they can be planted near the windows for an abundant supply of sunlight.
The suitable conditions for the healthy growth of the Hibiscus Plant are:
- Water – This plant requires an abundant and steady supply of water.
- Light – This plant grows well under ample sunlight.
- Temperature – These plants require the maximum amount of sunshine because it thrives well in high temperatures.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is often called the ‘Miracle Plant’ because it has miraculous medicinal properties which soothes the skin. This is one of the most beneficial Indoor Plants grown in India. This is a succulent plant consisting of fleshy leaves with serrated edges and no stems. Aloe grows mainly in temperate climates but it also grows successfully as an indoor plant. It is relatively resistant to most insects and pests, which in turn, means that you do not have to spend your leisure time swatting away those pests from leaves. You will always have a ready remedy at hand for those cuts, bruises and skin ailments!
The suitable methods for Aloe plant growth are:
- Water – Aloe does not require a lot of water to thrive because it can grow in very dry conditions. One must water the plant only when the pot is dry.
- Light – This plant requires a lot of sunlight for its healthy growth owing to its suitability to the warm climate.
- Temperature- Aloe grows the best in high temperatures with the least water availability.
4. Lavender Plant
This plant has lovely violet colored flowers with exquisite fragrance. People often sell the dried up flowers. We can use these flowers as a scent in our wardrobes. This is one of the best Indoor Plants for Home which is grown in India.
The requirements for the healthy growth of this plant are:
- Water – In order to be healthy these plants need a lot of water for its growth.
- Light – They need a lot of sunlight to thrive on their own owing to its huge water absorbing capacity.
- Temperature – These plants grow the best in a hot and humid climate because they need a lot of sunlight for healthy growth.
Ferns are one of the oldest species of plants on Earth. They have ornamental value as well as medicinal value. A canopy of Ferns usher in beauty as well as purifies the air around the room. They remove chemical pollutants like lead and arsenic from the atmosphere.
To grow ferns you need to use plastic pots instead of the clay ones because plastic pots retain moisture better. Keep the plant away from fans to keep it as moist as possible.
The special requirements for this plant are:
- Water-Water the plant abundantly keeping in mind that the pores in the soil are not clogged.
- Light – It can grow in low light conditions as well as in high light conditions. Keep the plant near the windows in a pot and move it as per your convenience.
- Temperature – Too much humidity is not great for the growth of this plant. This plant can grow in moderate temperate climates indoors.
6. Peace Lily
It is extremely convenient to grow Peace Lily in India. This plant is extremely easy to grow Indoors because it requires less amount of water and less care as well. Due to its hooded structure this plant has been given the name of ‘Cobra Plant’.
The special requirements for this plant are:
- Water – This plant needs the least watering among all the above-mentioned plants. So, if you are a super lazy person who refrains from watering their plants, this is your go-to plant.
- Light – This plant needs a very little amount of sunlight so it is ideal to grow indoors.
- Temperature – This flower grows the best in cold to moderate types of climate.
This is a perennial medicinal flowering plant with numerous uses and benefits. Ixora is known to cure various serious diseases like Tuberculosis, Haemorrhoids, and various other diseases as well. Hence, it is one of the most commonly grown Indoor Plants for a Home in India.
The requirements for the suitable growth of this Plant are:
- Water – They do not require much water to thrive.
- Light – They love the sun and therefore they should be planted under bright sunshine.
- Temperature – These plants can thrive in moderate temperature conditions.
8. African Violet
This is a flowering plant possessing white, pink, or violet flowers. You can keep them anywhere in your house because they can tolerate a little amount of sunlight. They are easy to maintain as they are small in size and can be kept in any shady region of your house.
The standard requirements and care instructions for this plant are:
- Water – This plant does not require a lot of water. However, moist soil is required for its extensive growth.
- Light – They can grow in indirect sunlight and in shady areas.
- Temperature – They grow in cold to warm conditions as well. Hence, they can tolerate any kind of temperature.
9. Money Plant
This plant is thought to bring extremely good luck to households. In fact, the leaves of this plant looks like money when you look at the plant at one glance. People believe that if you have this plant at home then you will never be short on money or friends and family members.
Care instructions for the healthy growth of Money Plant:
- Water – This plant does not need to be watered more than once a week. Since the water consumption of this plant is too low it can grow in extremely dry climates as well.
- Light – Always avoid direct sunlight in case of this plant because the leaves get scorched when it comes in contact with direct sunlight.
- Temperature – It requires a humid temperature for its healthy and optimal growth.
10. Indian Basil (Tulsi)
This is one of the most common plant grown in Indian households which requires the least care. Tulsi is regarded as a sacred, religious plant which has numerous medicinal properties and uses. Basil is a cultural symbol in many traditional Indian households. The leaves of this plant provenly cures cough and cold, acts as a great mosquito repellant, adds culinary flavor to many Indian dishes.
The requirements and care instructions to grow Tulsi plant Indoors are :
- Water – You always need to water the plant as the topsoil becomes quite dry if you do not water it. You do not need to water the plant during the monsoon and the spring season.
- Light – Exposure to direct sunlight can be availed for four hours a day.
- Temperature – This plant grows well in humid areas with ample availability of water.
These were the 10 best and common Plants that are grown Indoor at Home in India. Hope so all your doubts about which plant to grow indoors at home have been cleared up in this well comprehensive article. Stay tuned for the next one. Till then, Happy Growing!